We learn much of what we know about how buildings really perform from doing measurements and monitoring. This session presents five case studies in which targeted data monitoring led to understanding and resolutions of apparently vexing issues.
- Why did a new black box theater have mold problems?
- Why did a small dorm have higher than expected hot water energy use?
- How did data help right size the chiller system for a small lab building?
- Why did a large university building have low peak loads but higher than expected space conditioning energy?
- When was the existing multi-zone oil furnace system in a house ready to be replaced?
- Use measured energy consumption of an existing facility to size equipment for a new facility of the same type.
- Design a targeted monitoring strategy to uncover the cause of unexpectedly high energy use.
- Draw conclusions from peak vs. average energy use.
- Identify key space and HVAC variables to measure in a building with mold.