NESEA Event Policies
NESEA is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment for our events and programs. In accordance with that commitment, we have developed both a Health and Safety Policy and an Anti-harassment Policy to support the experience of our community. Read each policy below:
Purpose of Policy
NESEA is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment for our events and programs. In accordance with that commitment, we have developed an anti-harassment policy to support the experience of our community.
Offensive verbal comments
Harassing or non-consensual photography or recording
Intimidation or threatening comments
Physical assault and/or battery
Sustained or intentional disruption of sessions or other events
Inappropriate/unwelcome physical contact
Hate symbols or hate speech
Other non-professional behavior
Race or ethnicity
Gender identity or presentation
This policy applies to all members of our community, including staff, attendees, board members, exhibitors, sponsors, speakers, volunteers, and any other person who is part of a NESEA event or program, whether in-person or virtual. If a person engages in harassing behavior, staff will take prompt action in any form they deem appropriate, including expulsion from the event with no refund.
The structure and language of this policy was developed after reviewing similar policies from several events and organizations, including Northeastern Political Science Association, The Future of Privacy Forum, and New York Comic Con.
NESEA’s In-Person Gathering Policy
Your health and safety are our top priorities. To that end, we’ve implemented new guidelines and policies to help support a safe experience. Every attendee, including speakers, exhibitors, sponsors, and staff, is expected to comply with the health and safety protocols detailed here, as well as our Anti-Harassment Policy.
Requirements for Attending NESEA Programming and Events:
- Follow national, state, and local government policies regarding COVD-19
- Abide by all health and safety instructions from NESEA and event staff
- Respect others' precautions regarding their own health and safety, including masking and maintaining social distance
- Wear a mask if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 (and take a rapid test if you are able to)
- Do not attend the event if you are within the recommended isolation period after testing positive for COVID-19
- Leave the event or isolate in your room if you test positive for COVID-19 while attending
- Make sure you have received all COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters for which you are eligible
- Take a COVID-19 test before attending the event
- Wear a mask when not eating or drinking (we will have masks available)
- Let others know if you prefer to maintain social distance
Risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any event or public space, including NESEA events. Prior to purchasing a ticket for and attending an event, we encourage you to read the latest CDC Guidelines for Prevention. If you decide not to attend a NESEA event due to concerns about COVID-19, you may cancel your registration at any time and receive a credit for a future event. The circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic are changing constantly and guidelines are fluid. Please be patient with event organizers, facility partners, and your fellow event participants, and please act with kindness and understanding. NESEA will continue to evaluate the best course of action to ensure that everyone involved with the event is as safe and comfortable as possible.
NESEA advances sustainability practices in the built environment by cultivating a cross-disciplinary community where practitioners are encouraged to share, collaborate and learn.