The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) seeks an experienced Manager of Business Development to support the commercialization and partnership efforts of MassCEC’s portfolio companies.
The Manager of Business Development will report to the Managing Director of Investments and will work alongside the Investments team to serve as the connective tissue between MassCEC’s portfolio of climate technology startups and the broader clean energy ecosystem. This is an opportunity for proven BD leader to drive impact for early-stage, deep technology climate startups by catalyzing relationships, expanding MassCEC’s partner and investor network and guiding the strategy of MassCEC’s Investments team.
- Investments Portfolio Management and Support
- Work closely with members of the Investments team as we engage with and provide support to companies that we’ve invested in
- Deliver market insights to help portfolio companies enhance product-market fit and establish successful go-to-market strategies
- Facilitate network introductions for portfolio companies
- Work with the Managing Director of Investments and team members to evaluate market opportunities for new investments
- Provide research for specific business development opportunities
- Develop portfolio collateral to support strategic business case development for our portfolio’s solutions
- Serve as MassCEC’s observer or director on portfolio company boards, where appropriate
Deliver Research and Strategic Insight
- Conduct data-driven analysis on a variety of topics and synthesize research to identify new market opportunities
- Utilize MassCEC’s resources and data points to go beyond the surface level to develop novel insights
- Create industry landscapes to assess and identify key players in specific markets that could be potential investments
Drive Cross-Organization Collaboration: collaborate frequently and effectively with teams across MassCEC, including Offshore Wind, Transportation, Net-Zero Grid, and Buildings.
- Identify and capitalize on potential synergies across teams
- Develop communications and outreach plan in coordination with MassCEC Comms and Investments teams
- Identify and implement opportunities for Investments portfolio companies to participate in pilot and demonstration projects in Offshore Wind, Transportation, Net-Zero Grid and Buildings programs
- Evaluate technologies and support due diligence efforts across the teams
External Representation of MassCEC: Build a strong network across the clean energy space through proactive engagement with ecosystem partners and other stakeholders.
- Represent MassCEC at meetings, conferences and working sessions
- Coordinate and conduct regular engagement with key ecosystem partners, including, government agencies, utilities, corporations, universities and other venture capital firms.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Minimum undergraduate university degree
- MBA or advanced degree with focus on climate/clean energy preferred
- 7 - 10 years relevant work experience; 2+ years in a business development (or adjacent) role
- Prior experience in energy or demonstrated ability to learn a complex industry quickly
- Venture capital investment, consumer technology, energy markets, strategy consulting and/or corporate positions, with exposure to at least one of our four focus areas, and preferably to startups and entrepreneurship
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Established network in one of our focus areas
- Enjoy engaging with partners and customers, including presenting and visualizing data and explaining your analyses
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and across teams
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills including market research
- A willingness to work on event management
- Interest in clean energy technology and a demonstrated aptitude to understand complex and new products, systems, innovations and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges
- Strong command of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
About the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), as a quasi-public entity, plays a critical role in fostering the success of our state’s clean energy sector. MassCEC actively supports the Baker-Polito Administration’s commitment to addressing Massachusetts’ energy challenges, maintaining national leadership in clean energy, and meeting the requirements of the Global Warming Solutions Act.
MassCEC undertakes targeted programmatic initiatives to accelerate cost reductions in clean energy, help consumers diversify their energy choices and address evolving energy needs, leverage public and private funds to drive investment into this rapidly-growing sector, and scale-up renewable energy deployment across the state.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter online through our jobs portal:
Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.